Thursday, October 2, 2008

Beautiful and intelligent... Is that legal?


News Flash: I play Mabinogi, which some of you may already be familiar with. I recently had the opportunity to continue the storyline quests available to those who purchase one or more of the available game services, and completed both the Generation One storyline and the Generation Two. I'm currently working on G3.

Something my wife and I have both commented on, now, is the extraordinary writing of the storyline. Most Free-to-Play MMOs have the shiny graphics meant to draw you in, and they throw in some basic quests to learn the game with, along with, perhaps, some advanced ones, but that's it. Like many webcomics, they rely upon the pretty renderings to keep their fanbase. This is true for several pay-to-plays, as well, but we'll ignore that for the time being.

Mabinogi has the pretty sights and sounds. From a purely visual aspect, they have much more as well. The detail put into the very beautifully immersive environments is, while perhaps overlooked by many, very much appreciated by those like my wife and myself. Details like putting benches on a second-story terrace, when that terrace is mostly concealed, either by hanging sheets or privacy screens. Details like wildflowers as part of the terrain, not just the background, in outdoor "dungeons". Details like coffin-shaped treasure chests in crypt dungeons, ornate chandeliers above the line of sight of most characters, shadows of clouds being cast on the ground... I could go on.

But what sets this game apart from the others that I've played is the story. I don't want to give too much away, because I'd love for all of you to go through the same perception shifts and realizations that I did. The writing, even down to the clues that only make sense after you've learned "what happens next", the supposedly random text-bubble quotes spoken by various NPCs, or even just their descriptions when you talk to them... Everything contributes to this immersive experience. That, along with a masterful weaving of concepts both familiar and unfamiliar, and the granting of something more meaningful for the completion of these epic quests than just some gold or experience points. The game provides an actual experience, one that isn't measured by points or levels, to those who give up their hard-earned money to support it, and that's something I very much appreciate.

Again, I have gained more satisfaction and intellectual pleasure playing this game than almost any other game I've paid to play, whether it was set up as a free-to-play game or not. Neverwinter Nights didn't have this depth or immersiveness, it always seemed far too contrived. City of Heroes, while immersive, lacked a solid storyline and often felt forced as well. Flyff was just utter inanity in pretty packaging.

And while it may lessen the magnitude of your accomplishments in the game to see others who have also saved the world, doubtless in the same fashion, by finishing you become part of that group, part of the elite who have taken on forces and endured hardships that the non-paying crowd cannot fully comprehend.

I have my disappointments with the game, but overall, I'm happy with it. Heck, considering who we learned about the game from, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I'm looking forward to the G3 storyline, which includes different options based on your decisions. Again, something I've never seen in other free MMOs, and rarely seen in paid games.

Some people I know, who I've tried to introduce to the game, have been unable to play it due to system requirements, but those who are able to play, I highly recommend you give the game a chance. If you like the free version, I would recommend paying for one or more of the available services, and taking advantage of not only what the service offers, but also the mainstream storyline quests that become available. Hopefully you'll enjoy them as much as we have.

No comments: