Saturday, June 16, 2012

Tolerating Distractions

Once again, enlightenment from another blog's comments.  Normally when I read the comments on internet articles and blogs, I'm left with disappointment over the state of humanity, so this is a welcome change of pace.

I recently followed a few gaming blogs on G+, and through that stumbled across this article regarding gamers who don't pay strict attention at the table.  Knitting at the table is kind of awesome, and is less distracting (for the other players) than my backpacker.  I know one GM who sometimes crochets while running the game, when the players are planning things out and so on.  In most cases, it is as easy to pick up and put down as anything else and is productive to boot.  I'm fairly lenient when it comes to distracted gamers, though I'll admit to some of the typical insecurities regarding whether or not the person is invested in the game, and whose fault that may be if they aren't.  However, my wife and I have discussed at various times her envy-inducing multitasking abilities, so usually I'm able to keep in mind that even if she doesn't appear to be paying attention physically, her mind is still focused on the game.  It was nice, then, to see this comment from "dfjdejulio":

So, on the “knitting while playing tabletop games” thing, I might be able to give a little perspective on why some people react so negatively to it.
My spouse does this sort of thing. I do not.
I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult. My spouse has some ADHD-like symptoms but has never gotten a diagnosis. Right around the time of my diagnosis, I studied up on the condition, reading a lot of books and some articles from medical journals and stuff.
Some people with ADHD cannot concentrate well *if* more than one thing is going on. Other people with ADHD cannot concentrate well *unless* more than one thing is going on.
(What *seems* to be going on is, when the primary activity isn’t stimulating enough to occupy every last drop of their attention, they can “bleed off” some of the excess need-for-stimulation via secondary activities. If they’re blocked from doing this it gets frustrating and they fidget and daydream and stuff and just can’t focus.)
Whether she actually has ADHD or not, the latter certainly describes my spouse. She’s even got empirical data to back this up — when she started studying and doing homework with the TV *on*, her grades went *up*, and that correlation remained in place from high school through grad school. It was an objectively measurable effect, not just a subjective experience.
I, on the other hand, am the sort who can’t concentrate if anything else is going on.
Her behavior drove me *nuts* until I understood it, because if *I* had been behaving that way, well, it would have meant that I cared so little for the game that I had no intention of participating in it. But she needed the extra distraction in order to participate. What would have been a display of contempt from me was an accommodation in order to remain involved from her.
(Similarly, when we’re ordering pizza, I have to either pause or mute the TV, because otherwise I often can’t even read the pizza menu — my ability to multitask is *that* poor. This drove *her* nuts until she understood my nature better.)
I don't have ADHD (or at least, have never been diagnosed with it), but this still resonates with me very strongly.  I cannot multitask well at all.  If I open up a browser window while playing on a MUD, there's a good chance I'll get focused on whatever is in the browser and forget that I'm still logged into a game underneath it.  If there is a television within my field of vision, I have difficulty focusing on anything else in the room, whether it's visual or aural.  Trying to use multiple devices with multiple screens, something becoming iconic in the world of geeks and gaming, is simply beyond me.  I can listen to music while doing something else, but anything visual typically ends up derailing me.

My wife, on the other hand, typically has about twenty browser tabs open and is connected to the MUD while doing her college coursework, with the television on.  It makes me jealous, and also sometimes makes it difficult for me to understand comments that she makes because I wasn't paying attention to whatever source spurred the comment.  But, she cannot deal with having a lot of noise, or multiple sources of aural input, especially if she's trying to talk.  Music playing while the television is on ends up being too chaotic and cacophonous.  Sometimes just music on the radio is too much - she focuses better with silence.

So, I can handle background noise but not background visuals, while she can deal with visuals but not noise. There are exceptions on both sides, but this is the typical situation.

Both my wife and our friend Jonathan use their laptops to store character sheets for my game.  It's a lot harder to lose a laptop than a piece of paper or even a folder, and digital files are much easier to edit (and don't suffer from eraser marks).  Most of my game rules and information is also kept on my computer, though I try to only open it up on an as-needed basis.  So I have come to expect a certain level of distraction during my games, and for the most part I've built up a tolerance and I'm okay with it.  I have my limits as well, but it doesn't come up often because I know that it's mostly just satisfying the need/urge to fidget when the player's character isn't in the spotlight.

When I'm a player, though, rather than a GM, I use paper character sheets, and limit my "distractions" to random dice rolling and fiddling around on the guitar if there's no other music playing.  That's how I was raised, in gaming, so that's how I feel comfortable doing it.

2 comments:

Peregrin said...

I probably don't multitask as well as I think I do, but it never stops me from trying. I don't (yet) have all my characters in computer files, but it is a goal of mine.

With my DM, the crochet is very nearly an automatic function. But I am aware that she often feels as if there are too many player distractions, and if she reaches for the yarn I take it as a message that it's time to close my screen and get things moving again.

Calandreya said...

Labor Day weekend, I spent a fair amount of time setting up an actual quest, and it felt like I must have been doing a poor job of running the game to lose all my players to disinterest. One player seemed more interested in a different, online game, one seemed more interested in online comics and blogs, one was dealing with real life issues, and another was interested but afraid to step forward as a leader and take charge of the party. It became such a frustrating situation that I decided to give up running games altogether because I clearly couldn't inspire players. I've been doing this for 32 years and clearly have lost my touch, I thought.

I ended the game on Friday, a game that had been intended to run through the entire weekend, and went to do something else. One of my players spent some time talking to me and I agreed to continue the next day with some new rules for the group. Primarily, if, after setting up the scenario, the players couldn't organize enough to do -anything- within an hour's time, the game was over. I'm personally weary to pieces of waiting and waiting for hours for someone to tell me anything game related and, here again, is part of why I think the lack is mine - a good gamemaster can think of ways to get things moving. I had already given several clues, several events, and expected response but, when I didn't get any, I should have found more details to give.

And, secondarily, if people were truly disinterested in having a game, they needed to say so, not allow all of us to sit waiting for hours upon hours while someone just didn't feel like playing. That's not fair to anyone, DM or players. These changes allowed the gaming to proceed.

I enjoy running games but not sitting and waiting for players to stop mucking about on other devices. People tell me they enjoy my games and yet, when we sit down to play, for years this waiting game has happened. The one hour rule is going to be strictly enforced from now on, as it made a huge difference toward keeping things moving. If the only person who wants to play is me, I've got better things to do.